The main cultural event dedicated to the celebration of contemporary African photography, Les Rencontres de Bamako, which became the African Biennale of Photography, was founded in 1994. Originally an initiative of Françoise Huguier and Bernard Descamps, it has gained international recognition.
This event has become a platform for discovery, exchange and sharing between professionals, highlighting the future of African photography and its diaspora.
A 13th edition under the sign of the multiplicity, the difference, the future and the heritage.
This African Biennial of Photography will be presented in various locations in the city of Bamako and is intended to be a tribute to the sites dedicated to the transition of values, study the stratified, fragmented and divergent identities staged or imagined. It will also be a crucible that allows to apprehend the specificities that hide the cultural practices, the identity marks of the peoples, as well as the forms of political organization most usual on the continent.
It is with this in mind that the organizing committee of this 13th edition, composed of Cheick Diallo, Bonaventure Soh Bejeng Ndikung, the artist and independent curator Akinbode Akinbiyi, the artistic director of MACAAL Meriem Berrada, the assistant curator of the Zeitz MOCAA Tandazani Dhlakama, and the assistant curator of the Art Gallery of York University in Toronto Liz Ikiriko, has decided to direct this edition.
The call for entries
For the 13th edition, a call for entries is open to amateur and professional photographers and video artists of all nationalities.
The deadline for submission of applications is Monday, May 31, 2021 on the internet platform of the Rencontres de Bamako.
The application file includes:
1. An application form to be filled out online,
2. A detailed curriculum vitae of the applicant of 2 pages maximum,
3. A portrait of the artist and a high resolution passport photo,
4. A scanned copy of the passport valid until 2022.
5. A note of intent presenting the series and/or the video works, in French or English, in PDF format of 5 pages maximum.
It must contain a clear and concise description of the proposal. In the case of a specific installation, please include images that allow the committee to visualize or imagine the proposed project.
6. A Portfolio of the applicant(s) with their biography,
7. Five images of recent works by the artist, with their technical file specifying: artist’s name, title, date of creation, medium, dimensions, value of the work and insurance, addresses of origin and delivery locations.
8. A folder in zip format, containing the video files (5 maximum) with a volume not exceeding 2 GB, in h264 and doing between 30 and 50 FPS with a minimum resolution of 3k.
It is possible to present several series and to apply in both categories (photography/video).
The files must indicate: name, first name(s), title and series.
Send your files, photos/videos in a single zip folder.
To certify the authenticity of the works submitted, candidates must be able to prove that they are original creations and comply with the requirements of the law on intellectual property and do not constitute an infringement of protected works.
Applicants are fully responsible for the photographs and/or videos submitted.
It should be noted that only those applications that meet the above criteria will be considered for selection.
The result of the selection will be announced in June 2021.
25 artists will be selected on the basis of the relevance, feasibility and quality of their project and will receive a notification by email followed by an announcement on the African Photography Biennale website.
The selected artists will participate in the meetings and exchanges of the professional days that mark the first week of the event.