Gasworks residencies are valuable open doors for independent expertise, creative exchange and experimentation. This residency will allow an artist located in East Africa (Uganda and Kenya) or Southern Africa (see list of SADC member countries) to undertake a fully funded residency at Gasworks in London from October 3 to December 19, 2022, with the support of the Artworkers Retirement Society. The deadline for applications is Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
The residencies are non-prescriptive and process-based, and aim to allow artists to explore and foster new work. Disseminated through open studios and events, these residencies foster collaboration, exchange, and professional networking. Gasworks provides extensive support throughout the residency, but also expects artists to be proactive and motivated and to lead the exploration and production of their work while in London.
The residency includes
- 24-hour access to a fully available private studio at Gasworks, in close proximity to other guest artists and permanent studio holders at Gasworks.
- A public Open Studios displaying work created during the residency at Gasworks.
- Assistance with visa applications and payment of all visa fees.
- Economy airfare from the artist’s home city to London
- A single room in the Gasworks Residencies House.
- Weekly payment for living expenses.
- A budget for materials, access to Gasworks equipment and media equipment, depending on accessibility, a card for unlimited travel in central London for the duration of the residency.
- Support from Gasworks (Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 6pm).
- A dedicated residency page on the Gasworks website,
- A short interview/video before the Open Studio to present his work.
- A video on the residency page of the Gasworks website.
- Approximately two individual studio visits with curators and art experts, the opportunity to meet with various specialists, art experts, patrons and collectors over at least two coordinated snacks and dinners.
For more information about the residency and how to apply, visit the Gasworks website.