The Minister of Culture and Historical Heritage in partnership with the General Secretariat of the Biennale of Contemporary African Art declares open from June 1 to August 31, 2023 the call for candidatures for the official international exhibition of the 15th edition of the Dakar Biennale scheduled for 2024.
Dak’Art is a program designed to support the development of contemporary art in Africa, which has acquired an international reputation thanks to its long history and its contribution to the diaspora. Dedicated exclusively to the promotion of contemporary artists living on and off the African continent, the Dakar Biennale represents an annual opportunity for all artists to be at the forefront of the contemporary art scene.
The postulate allowing artists to participate in the great Biennale Dakar 2024 is officially launched. In order to ensure a pleasant event for contemporary African art, the Dakar Biennial is now calling for applications for its 15th edition.
To take part in this contemporary art event, artists must provide a duly completed application file comprising the registration form and certain documents essential to the validation of their application. The application file consists of :
- A completed application form,
- A biography of 20 to 25 lines maximum in French and English,
- A detailed curriculum vitae,
- Two recent high-resolution passport-size photographs with a white background;
- A scanned copy of a passport valid until at least March 31, 2025;
- Five high-definition reproductions (300dpi for 30×50 cm) of works dating no later than October 2022 (owned by the artist) on paper or digital media (photographs, USB, CD). The name of the photographer must be mentioned, as well as the year of creation;
- A text presenting the works and their compulsory technical data sheet (references of the works, titles, dimensions, weight, volumes, year of creation, materials used, value of the works and insurance value, addresses of the places of provenance and delivery of the works at the end of the Biennale 2024);
- Copies of art magazine articles and critical texts on the artist’s work, and one or more testimonials from recognized experts;
- A letter of commitment from the artist agreeing, in the event of selection, to take charge of the appropriate packaging of the works, indicating their dimensions, weights and volumes after packaging and dispatch in crates with screw-on lids to facilitate their return. They must be ready and easily transportable no later than one month after the artist has been notified by the Dakar Biennale’s General Secretariat of the International Selection Committee’s decision.
Applications must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post by August 31, 2023 at the latest to the General Secretariat of the Dakar Biennale, 19 avenue Hassan II 1er Étage. BP : 3865. Dakar, Senegal.
Please note that failure to comply with any of the above points will result in rejection of the application.
Click here for more information on the rules of procedure and the organization program for the Dakar Biennale 2024.